Sunday 12 October 2014

Returning to football?

The Ched Evans debate

Just a quick thought on the Ched Evans debate.

It's all kicking off again as he is going to be released soon (I do hope you'll excuse that little pun of mine)!

If you wanna put yourself through the ordeal of reading about the case from 2012,  if you've not done so already, you can go here

The whole thing was one big, complicated mess.

There is now a campaign to get Evan's former club, Sheffield United FC, to not reinstate Evans. 

The BBC are covering the story here .

I hesitate to recommend this site as I suspect it to be highly biased in his favour. However it's not certain to me that it's completely untruthful. But there does seem to be some measure of rape apology on here. The most helpful thing of course would be to have a wide ranging debate on the social contexts of what constitutes true consent. A debate on how important it is to agree in a recorded form (written, audio or video) beforehand what is intended and expected. 

Evans' girlfriend Natasha Massey has supported him in returning.

You may be surprised to hear that I'm not supporting the campaign to influence Sheffield United. It's up to them what they do and they have to be as accountable as anyone else. I agree that Evans needs to be able to have a career again. It's unfortunate if he will simply be re-signing for the same team I suppose. I imagine though, that little will remain the same for him and he'll obviously have to re-prove his footballing skills. I don't think it necessarily sends out a message that's he's been "forgiven". To me the campaign seems to be a bit misplaced and reeks of the constant harassment that people who are wrongfully accused of crimes sometimes receive even if they are acquitted. This is not directly comparable of course, but Evans served his time and deserves a second chance, although it is very problematic if he doesn't understand what he did wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment